Monday, October 1, 2012

Culture Blurb: Fasting (then Feasting)


On Mondays we fast. I believe it is a Lutheran tradition. It is not mandatory, but New Life Foundation staff members generally tend to participate, and nowadays that includes me! I first tried the Monday before last. Princely was here at that point, so we coped by drinking tons of guava juice (we cleared out Baba’s whole supply). Last Monday I was planning to participate, but Mama made this killer porridge for breakfast and I couldn’t resist.
Today, I fasted. I woke up and drank a coffee, drank a bottle of water at work, and then a soda after work with Alice, my co-worker. It was a full day of teaching, and by the end of it we were both so tired (and I, being the baby that I am, so famished) that we agreed there was no way we were going back to the office without putting a little sugar in our stomachs first. We stopped to grab a soda from an outdoor bar across the road from New Life.
The fast ends after we finish prayer. This happens anytime between 5 and 6 pm. Then, we all go inside and grab a cup of tea and a biscuit to recognize the completion of the fast. Everyone heads home shortly after to begin cooking dinner.

Being the beginner I am, I brought a cucumber with me to work this morning for my post-fasting snack. I knew the tea and biscuit wouldn’t do the trick…
Crunch
Nom

Nom

I try to maintain the mentality of clear your stomach, clear your mind. It gives motive behind the fast and helps me view it as a productive and cleansing experience instead of a useless tribulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment