Monday, September 10, 2012

Bread, ham, and sun dried tomatoes


          In the airport in Amsterdam, I met a guy from Kazakhstan. Our conversation lasted maybe a minute and a half and most of the communication was through facial expressions rather than words. Still, he made my day. I can’t target just why. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I had never met anyone from the Middle East before that moment, and it brought to my attention just how big this world is. Maybe I liked noticing that he seemed curious about how much I smiled. Or perhaps there is some thrill behind the encounter with a perfect stranger – someone who knows and assumes nothing about you, and you are in the same position with them. And then, just like that, you pay for your food and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment